[ANSTHRLD] Happy Birthday SCA - now Anno Societatus 40 (roman: XLI or XXXXI)

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 16:51:00 PDT 2006

Happy Birthday- 40 years - SCA!!
Now officially into the 'middle-ages', the SCA is a rare lady of 40 years.

The first year of the SCA is considered Anno Societatis I.
As such, we are now entering Anno Societatis 41.
Or in Roman Numerals use either 'XLI'  or 'XXXXI'.

Heralds and Scribes - be sure to use '41' as your new scroll dates going forward.

Bit of History:
The SCA was incorporated in 1968, but recognizes a tournament held in Berkeley, California, on May
1, 1966, as its founding date. It was such a success that the participants went on to organize
more. The name "Society for Creative Anachronism" was coined by science fiction author Marion
Zimmer Bradley, an early participant, when the nascent group needed an official name in order to
reserve a park for a tournament.  The SCA continued to be a local organization until 1968, when a
tournament was held at the World Science Fiction Convention, which was held in Berkeley that year.
The idea spread, and soon other local chapters began to form.

The SCA still measures dates within the society from the date of that party, calling the system
Anno Societatis (Latin for "Year of the Society"). For example, 1 May 2006–30 April 2007 is A.S.
XLI (41).

Cheers, Hillary Greenslade
Star Signet Ansteorra