[ANSTHRLD] Happy Birthday SCA - now Anno Societatus 40 (roman: XLI or XXXXI)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon May 1 17:21:14 PDT 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The SCA still measures dates within the society from the date of
> that party, calling the system Anno Societatis (Latin for "Year of
> the Society"). For example, 1 May 2006-30 April 2007 is A.S.  XLI
> (41).

Different people have different mnemonics -- some may go so far as to
memorize the anno societatis.  I calculate A.S. quickly since 2000 as
    last two digits of year plus 35,
    and if the month is January-April, minus one.

E.g., 1 April 2006 was
    06 + 35 - 1 = A.S. 40
3 May 2006 will be
    06 + 35 = A.S. 41

(For all years since the First Party, the formula is
    current year minus 1965,
    and if the month is January-April, minus one more.
)

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com