[ANSTHRLD] Name conflict question

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri May 5 15:09:06 PDT 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Steve K. Rourke <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:
> [tmcd at panix.com]
> > However, I don't know how Welsh names are constructed to know whether
> > "Catrin ferch Rhys y gof" is registerable.
>
> I got "gof" from "A Simple Guide to Constructing 13th Century Welsh
> Names" at http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/welsh13.html under the
> sections entitled "Bynames Based On An Occupation which shows both
> "Faber" as the Latin and "gof" being 13th century forms.
>
> The "y gof" came from "Constructing 16th Century Welsh Names"
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/welsh16.html which shows "y gove
> [y gof, i.e. "the smith"]". I know that there is a 300 year gap
> between the naming practices but I figured that this would be a good
> place to start asking.

Thank you very much for those details as well.  I will note that the
latter has "Thomas y Gove" as an example name, so the "y" is real.
The original submission of Catrin ferch Rhys has no info on the
desired time period; does she now have a preference?

A name herald may be along soon to buff-shine the documentation.

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com