[ANSTHRLD] Consulting Library

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon May 22 10:33:45 PDT 2006

> I also had the ridiculously whacked out idea of making a simple database
> that would contain all the names and references for easy search and
> reference. This would take MUCH longer, probably years, and would require
> some help. Anyone else think this a useful, if insane idea?
>
> Faelan

[Mari is still digging through this thread, so don't know if anyone has
already responded...]

Over the years, several people have thought about ideas like this.  The
problem is that there is so much variance over time and location (both
variance in spelling, construction, and naming pools by culture/region) that
constructing a "smart" database that would allow a user to pick pieces that
will reliably fit together is difficult.  Effrick neyn Kenyoch has
implemented a version of an idea like this, but has limited it by time and
location in order to avoid issues with construction or naming pools.  To see
her article, go to:

http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/hng16gaelic/

If you're really interested in doing something like this, then my
recommendation is to start with a single time/location and use that to test
your work before moving on to a broader scope.

Mari