[ANSTHRLD] Consulting Library

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon May 22 10:48:40 PDT 2006

>        It was Mari (and I believe Daniel).  They did a good job of pulling
> out good books from bad and I deeply appreciate it.  That being said I went
> through all the boxes and tubs (I have the reject boxes) I was given and
> there were some of the books on the Appendix in the not useful box and
> some useless books in the good box.  So that was my question.  The
> books that were on the "H" list and in the useless box were damaged
> and once repaired will go back into the useful box.

1) if there were 3 copies of something, the third copy went to you.  The only
two "mostly destroyed", but really useful, books I know of that are wandering
around in the library somewhere are extra copies - one of of O/ Corra/in &
Maguire's _Irish Names_ and one of Reaney and Wilson.  Both were in gallon
ziploc baggies to keep them together.  (I'm familiar with these two as I
donated both of them when they were in slightly better, but only slightly
better, shape.)  As both are currently in print (last I checked anyway) and
are fairly cheap, they probably aren't worth rebinding.  They can get passed
around in the baggies until some flood at some event destroys them.  Or they
can get loaned out/given/whatever to some group that desperately needs the
resources and can't afford the 12.95 and 14.95 (last I bought copies) to
purchase them.  Whatever.  Actually, if I remember correctly, the OCM is
almost completely unbound now, so it could easily go through one of those
ring-punch tools at a job and get a plastic spiral binding.  That would be
fast, cheap, and make it really useful again.  It would also stay open while
someone is looking at it - which is likely an improvement at a consult table.

>      My thought on these books is that for a consultation table, we should
> use the "H" books because of the simple fact that there is no
> photocopying needed.
> No one has to leave to go make copies or such. Most of the books found in
> the "useful" box were these books.  I had have to remove three
> temporarily until they are fixed and two may make it back by the time
> they get sent to Warlord.
> If someone wants to submit something not found in these books, then perhaps
> it could be deferred to one of the Heralds for follow-up.  Does this
> make sense?
>    We are missing several books form the "H" list.  I went online and
> looked at the University of Texas's library(which I have access to)
> and found all but two. I can slowly photocopy these (they are quite
> large) since most of them are past copyright and put them into the
> boxes.  Of the SCA related books, (three
> Incomplete Anachronists) I can reorder and put in.

Warning on "Appendix H".  Appendix H is simply what is in the Laurel library
(mostly) and does not guarantee quality.  For example, Peadar Morgan's book
is NOT one I'd hand to a submitter.  But it's on Appendix H (or was the last
time I checked)

For the out of print books on Appendix H, there are photocopies roaming
around of all of them somewhere.  Some may be in another part of the kingdom
consulting library.  Otherwise, I can probably tell you who has photocopies
(might be me or Daniel) if you can tell us what books you're looking at.

>    Eventually, I would like to develop a set of libraries for each region
> which will take time and will need the co-operation of all the Regionals
> (by finding a house and person to assist with it's mobility.  That's
> further down the path.
> At this point I have two individuals who are willing to be the legs of the
> Library and will be asking both for assistance.  My question is --- -Are
> there Regional Libraries already?  Are the books that the local groups
> use personal copies?  Do groups have libraries?  Should we persue that
> as well?

The one thing on any library is that someone has to maintain the inventory
list for the library and make sure to check it each time the books go out and
come back.  Then be willing to hunt down the missing books.  So what the
kingdom library is going through now will not happen again.

Mari