[ANSTHRLD] more on the library

nweders at mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 22 11:06:50 PDT 2006

Hey all:
Both Fox-Davies spines were ripped and should be repaired.  Both Bardsley
were not hole punched (and are being in the process of such).  One of the
copies of Morlet (I think) had come completely apart and needs
fixing.  Several of the copies had water damage so I'm recopying them just
to make them nicer.

There were no books in plastic bags so maybe there is an errant box roaming
the cosmos.

There was no big problem but if the Herald's Office keeps the copies then
they should be kept neatly and fixed when possible.  That's all.

>Warning on "Appendix H".  Appendix H is simply what is in the Laurel library
>(mostly) and does not guarantee quality.  For example, Peadar Morgan's book
>is NOT one I'd hand to a submitter.  But it's on Appendix H (or was the last
>time I checked)

         I agree.  Most of Jayme's  recommendations was also on the H list
and the general consensus was the "H" list.
they are books that do not require copying just siting.  If we use books
that need copying at outdoor consultation events then how do we get copies
to submit the papers?  Someone would have to take the books offsite, make
copies, match them up and then bring the books back.  Or someone would have
to take the papers home, make copies of the books and then send all
off.  Something I think Armillary doesn't need to be responsible
for...  I'm trying to put together a mobile library that is easily
transported and is the most helpful.  Granted there are other useful books
that can be taken especially if the site has copiers facilities nearby or
on-site.  Those books will be kept as part of the consultation table
library but not used at more user-unfriendly sites.

>The one thing on any library is that someone has to maintain the inventory
>list for the library and make sure to check it each time the books go out and
>come back.  Then be willing to hunt down the missing books.  So what the
>kingdom library is going through now will not happen again.

         Which is why I have the library -- so I can clear them up, get the
information and eventually put the list on-line and keep the books
organized.  Until recently this has been a one person operation so it goes
slowly.
My idea for regional libraries with a smaller amount of books is that
currently the local branches may not have a complete set and transportation
may inhibit individuals who wish to get help for their devices traveling to
a major event
The Regional library could be used effectively there.

         As for your copies of out of print books and Daniel's (who was
volunteered), if I can't find one to copy I will call upon you.  I have put
an inquiry in to Star about book funds.

         Regards,

         Clare