[ANSTHRLD] conflict check please

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 31 10:18:37 PDT 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Hedwig von Luneborg <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because I know there has to be two CDs minimum for a non conflict on
> a device, I thought it was the same with a badge.

The rules for badges are exactly identical to the rules for devices,
except [1]
- a submitter can have only zero or one device, but may have zero or
  more badges
- a badge can be fieldless, as long as the charges are contiguous

In particular, badges need to clear conflict in exactly the same way
as devices.  That can be 2 CDs, or addition/removal of a primary
charge (RfS X.1), or substantial change in type of primary in simple
cases (RfS X.2).

That said: (Fieldless) is automatically one CD from any field,
including (Fieldless).

> Since his device conflicted
> with:
> Vert a bear's head cabossed
> and we had to add an orle, then I felt that the badge idea he has
> would also have conflict since the fieldless vs vert would also be
> only one CD for the field change.

Yup.

Dankyn de Lincoln

[1] I elided over these details:
- whether a submitter is subject to a *maximum* limit on the number of
  pieces of armory registered
- tinctureless badges, which nowadays can be registered only for
  a principal herald's seal

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com