[ANSTHRLD] Okay I'm a little confused now.

Bajula bajula at windfire.net
Wed Oct 11 09:26:18 PDT 2006

I've been lurking and just reading stuff, checking out links people send..
While I have an interest in the names and heraldry bit, I'm not sure how
much I can take before my brain explodes. :)
Since the link to the rules of submission was brought up I got bored and
went and read it..
Now I've heard repeatedly on this list and verbally that you cannot register
your legal name. (maybe I picked it up out of context?) If I misunderstood
that's okay too. just someone clear up for me this bit.
<start quoted bit>
 4. Legal Names. - Elements of the submitters legal name may be used as the
corresponding part of a Society name, if such elements are not excessively
obtrusive and do not violate other sections of these rules.

This allows individuals to register elements of their legal name that cannot
be documented from period sources. The allowance is only made for the actual
legal name, not any variants. Someone whose legal given name is Ruby may
register Ruby as a Society given name, but not Rubie , Rubyat , or Rube .
Corresponding elements are defined by their type, not solely their position
in the name. This means a person with the legal name Andrew Jackson could
use Jackson as a surname in his Society name in any position where a surname
is appropriate, such as Raymond Jackson Turner or Raymond Jackson of London
, not just as his last name element.
<end quoted bit>

So which is it?

And since I was driven by this burning question to post anyway, If you feel
like pointing a fella in the right direction for newbie "Hey dude I wanna
learn heraldry" questions ...
You know.. to places that are for people who DON'T see a picture in thier
head when they see a blazon... :) Feel free to point away. books, websites
.. whatever.

Thanks in advance.