[ANSTHRLD] Ermined Or and Argent - is this still 'legal'

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 20:49:52 PDT 2006

A strewn charge modifies the tincture before it.

  "Per fess azure and gules mullety argent, ..." has mullets solely on the gules portion.

  "Per fess azure mullety argent and gules, ..." has mullets solely on the azure portion.

  "Per fess azure mullety argent and gules mullety argent, ..." has mullets on both portions.

  "Counterchanged" is shorthand for "A charged B and B charged A" so the blazon for Morgan of Atlantia denotes mullets on both portions.

  Tostig

  tmcd at panix.com wrote:
  On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, debell1 at txcyber.com wrote:
> Another confusing area is when half the field has a semy of charges
> and the other half doesn't.

For some reason, I've never managed to remember how strewn charges get
blazoned on a divided field. I think that a strewn charge is
considered to be on everything on the same level before it, but I'm
not sure, and I'm not sure how you could blazon an uncharged field
first. That is, "Per pale argent mulletty sable and azure, a lion
gules" is unambiguous (the dexter half is mulletty, the sinister half
is uncharged), but I'm not sure how to blazon both sides being
mulletty versus how to blazon only the sinister side being mulletty.

> Tricky blazons like this are hard to read at first:
> "Per fess gules and azure, mullety, in chief a lion argent."

In 1/06, this was registered:

Morgan of Atlantia. Holding name and device (see RETURNS for name).
Per bend sinister argent and vert mulletty counterchanged.

The emblazon shows that the whole field was mulletty, as the
"counterchanged" implies.

Denyel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com