[ANSTHRLD] Welsh mixed with Scots name question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 30 10:41:40 PST 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, kobrien at texas.net <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> wrote:
> Here's what I wrote.
> If it's Scots not Scottish Gaelic, it's registerable with a weirdness (or
> a "step from period practice").
>
> My first instinct would be to look in Black for "Walsh" or "Welsh" and see
> what's there.

There appears to be a missing line or two at this point.  From
context and dim memory, I suspect it was
     But that's Scots, a language closely related to English, not
     Scottish Gaelic. Welsh and Scottish Gaelic have not been
> registerable in the same name for a long time.  I don't know if that's
> changed, but I don't think it has.

Is that right, Mari?

> If she wants a Gaelic byname indicating she's Welsh, the easy fix
> would be to use an English version of <Gwen>.

which makes it (English)+(Scottish Gaelic/Irish Gaelic), which is
registerable.

DdL
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com