[ANSTHRLD] Welsh mixed with Scots name question

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon Oct 30 11:27:00 PST 2006

It's good to know someone got my message - I still haven't seen either of
them show up in my mailbox yet...

> > Here's what I wrote.
> > If it's Scots not Scottish Gaelic, it's registerable with a weirdness
> > (or a "step from period practice").
> >
> > My first instinct would be to look in Black for "Walsh" or "Welsh" and
> > see what's there.

> There appears to be a missing line or two at this point.  From
> context and dim memory, I suspect it was
>      But that's Scots, a language closely related to English, not
>      Scottish Gaelic. Welsh and Scottish Gaelic have not been
> > registerable in the same name for a long time.  I don't know if that's
> > changed, but I don't think it has.
>
> Is that right, Mari?

Bleh.  Cut and paste strikes again.

The cut-off line originally said something like:

Gaelic and Welsh have not been registerable in the same name for a long
time.  I don't know if that's changed, but I don't think it has.

I didn't go into detail on the difference between Scots and Scottish Gaelic -
figuring most folks here know that they are two different languages, but we
always get new people on the list.  so, if anyone wants a brief overview of
the languages spoken in Scotland during our period, please see the top of the
Scottish page in the Medieval Names Archive:

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml

> > If she wants a Gaelic byname indicating she's Welsh, the easy fix
> > would be to use an English version of <Gwen>.
>
> which makes it (English)+(Scottish Gaelic/Irish Gaelic), which is
> registerable.

Yep.

Mari