[ANSTHRLD] More Darts and perhaps even some rocks to be thrown!

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Sep 12 11:08:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tomas Niallagain <siortomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever I have had to tell a client "nope, you can't do that", they
> don't want to hear "because rule X.Y says you can't"; I learned that
> years ago when I was still new to the SCA and heraldry.  My clients
> tend to want the actual whys of the rules so they can then submit
> passable heraldry.  Since we are supposed to educate as well as
> process paperwork, I like to know the reasoning behind the rules.

As for "whys", I should not that there are some SCA heraldic rules are
for SCA heraldic convenience only, like having to register a unique
name with or before armory (just so we have a name to put on each
person's file folder), and requiring each name to have at least two
components.  But the ideal is that our rules ought to reflect period
practice, though the reflection may be distorted or simplified to make
an easy-to-administer rule.

Danielis Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com