[ANSTHRLD] the name Willow WAS: temporal restrictions

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Apr 5 10:56:05 PDT 2007

Since it's Searle, the language is going to be Old English and/or Latin from
the Old English period.

Also, if I remember correctly (and you'll want to check this when you pull
the cite), <Wilo> and <Willo> are masculine given names.  This may be of
interest to the submitter.

I'm assuming this is for the submitter who wanted <Willow> with some form of
MacMurray - per the thread in the last week.

If so, it's important to note that mixing Scots with Old English is not
registerable.  Same for Anglicized Irish with Old English.

However, Old English with Gaelic of a similar time period is registerable
with one Step From Period Practice (old term = "weirdness").

Here's the ruling for that:

-----------------

This name combines an Irish Gaelic given name dated from the 8th to 11th C
with an Old English byname. Olof von Feilitzen, The pre-Conquest Personal
names of the Domesday Book [sic], p. 30, says of Irish names that appear in
the Domesday book:
The Irish names, which were introduced in the 10th and 11th centuries by
celticized Norwegians from Ireland and the Isle of Man, are with very few
exceptions (Ch, L; Sa?) not found outside of Yorkshire.

Some of the given names in the Domesday Book that he identifies as referring
to Irish names are: Fyach (p. 251 s.n. Fíacc), Gilemicel and Ghilemicel (p.
261 s.n. Gillemicel), Gilepatric and Ghilepatric (p. 261 Gillepatric), and
Melmidoc (p. 323 s.n. Maelmaedhog). It is important to note that these forms
are not Gaelic spellings, but Old English renderings of Gaelic names. Given
these examples, mixing Gaelic and Old English in a name is registerable,
though there is a weirdness for mixing the orthographies of Old English and
Gaelic. [Eithne of Cantwaraburg, 08/2002, A-East]

-----------------

so, depending on the dates Searle gives for <Wilo> & <Willo>, something
should be registerable, though not authentic.

I can't remember if the client wanted the byname based off <Muiredach> or
<Muirchertach>, so I'll include spellings for both here.

Registerable forms may be something close to:

Wilo mac Muiredaig
Willo mac Muiredaig
Wilo mac Muirchertaig
Willo mac Muirchertaig

It will all depend on what the entry in Searle says.

Docs for the byname spellings can be found at:

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Masculine/Muiredach.shtml

http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/AnnalsIndex/Masculine/Muirchertach.shtml

Hope this helps,

Mari