[ANSTHRLD] A Crouching Cat

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Thu Aug 2 19:23:47 PDT 2007

Wolfgang wrote:

>A client has just proposed a beatutiful Device which features a
> stunning Sable Cat crouched with front legs and head on the
> deck and rear legs erect, much like he is stretching or readying to
> pounce.
>
>  My problem is trying to find the proper term for that posture; I
> seem to have found every other position possible for a 4-legged
> creature except this.  Any suggestions?

Congratulations -- your research is correct.  This is not a heraldic
position.

Heraldry is an art style, and it's a stylistic, non-representational one.
Things are drawn a certain way.  The reason you can't find it is quite
simply because nobody drew it that way on a shield or banner in period.

Unfortunately, the correct answer to your client is "Heraldic beasts are
drawn stylistically.  Here is a picture of all the positions in which a cat
can be portrayed.  The lovely drawing you've created is a lovely drawing,
but it isn't a heraldic device.  This is not a comment on how good the
artwork is.  You can't have the Mona Lisa either, and for the same reason"

Then try to suggest that she consider passant or salient or another
position that conveys heraldically what she is trying to portray
representationally.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin