[ANSTHRLD] Houston Museum of Fine Arts - Islamic Calligraphy Exhibit till Feb 2, 2008

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 18:42:48 PST 2007

    'Traces of the Calligrapher: Islamic Calligraphy in Practice, c. 1600-1900 and Writing the Word of God: Calligraphy and the Qur´an '   is on exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston (MFAH):
  http://www.mfah.org/

  "Traces of the Calligrapher brings together exceptional works of the seventeenth through the nineteenth centuries from Iran, India, and Turkey. Drawn from a private collection in Houston, the exhibition comprises pens, pen boxes, chests, tables, paper scissors, knives, burnishers, and book bindings of superb manufacture and design. These objects are presented with contemporary examples of calligraphy that were executed as practice exercises, occasional works, wall hangings, and manuscripts.  "

  There are several lectures still on the calendar till the exhibit closes, as well as a book that accompanies the show.

    ***
  Thursday nights at the MFAH is FREE!  I'm planning to check out this exhibit on January 17th, let me know if you are interested in joining me.
  ***

  Cheers, Hillary