[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check help needed.

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Feb 5 13:22:24 PST 2007

Daniel wrote:
> There's no such rule as "no CD for coloring forced by the field".
> The only time you lose a CD for a forced change is a change of
> *arrangement* that's forced by some other change.
>
> You could say that swappie-doodling the field means that the stags
> have to swap sides, and that's true.  But on Kilian's device, the
> argent stag is facing to sinister and the azure stag is facing to
> dexter.  If you just swappie-doodle the field (1 CD) and just move the
> charges (no CD for forced change of arrangement), you get
>      Per pale argent and azure, two stags ADDORSED counterchanged.
> Hence a second CD for change of orientation of each charge on the
> field.

Daniel is, of course, right. Shouldn't try to do conflict checking in the
morning. :)

> > So in summary, you're probably safe without the bordure, but adding
> > it sure couldn't hurt.
>
> I disagree.  In the SCA, in my insufficiently humble opinion, there's
> too much emphasis on "oh, there's a conflict, so slap on a bordure or
> a chief".  More generally, I'd like to see simpler designs.

In general, I much prefer simpler designs as well (and Amra, sorry, but I
loath dovetailing... If it can't be plain line, at least engrailed!), and a
surprising number of them are perfectly clear. If the submitter likes the
border, there's no problem with keeping it. If they'd rather do without, by
all means drop it. :)

-Emma