[ANSTHRLD] Complex Line Affinities (WAS - RE: Conflict check help needed)

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:33:14 PST 2007

> In general, I much prefer simpler designs as well (and Amra,
> sorry, but I loath dovetailing... If it can't be plain line,
> at least engrailed!), and a surprising number of them are
> perfectly clear. If the submitter likes the border, there's
> no problem with keeping it. If they'd rather do without, by
> all means drop it. :)
>
> -Emma

Awwww, Emma, I wuz jes' foolin' wid' it.

<f/x: toe-stubbing bashfulness ... As if *I* could pull that off!>

More seriously:  personal biases do come into heraldic consultancy from
time to time.  As long as we make that clear to our clients as we go,
well and good.  I appreciate Emma's candor -- and respond that for my
part that *for a bordure* I just find dovetailing more aesthetically
pleasing and a better fit for the border at the corners, esp. when
well-executed.  Straight embattled just feels wrong there, particularly
for the standard heater shape.  And I would say the same to any client.

On single lines of division, as opposed to application against borders /
bends / saltires / crosses / roundels / etc., I've got far more
flexibility and respect for embattled and the many other complex lines,
even when I can't keep them all straight with pure visuals.  (Cheat
sheets are our friends!)

Does it help to know that I have at least a strong touch of woodworker
in me, and have always liked dovetail joints at the corners of drawers
and boxes and such?

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen