[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 11 23:41:12 PST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Kimberly Langhans <sarapenrose at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
> > <donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> > > There is a special version of a CB scroll for
> > > previous Landed B&Bs. See page 51 of the Official Awards Texts at
> > > http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/AwardTexts2005.pdf
>
> Which works great for original scrolls, but doesn't help me as
> Golden Scroll, where I am limited to our existing charters (which
> use the text on pg 49 of the Award Texts document).

I'm afraid I don't understand.  His citation shows that the text for
CB-for-previous-LB is "an existing charter" and has been for one to
two years now.

If your objection is that that may not be the text that was recited at
the time of its bestowal:

- Technically, you don't know that the 1999 text was used, or even
  what was said at that time.  For all you know, the queen said "Dude,
  you're a cee bee", and the king went "*hic*  Shure.  Whaever.
  More mead, dammit. *slide* *thump*"

- One of the mottos of the College of Arms is "Non scripta, non est"
  -- "if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist".

- Have previous backlog scrollers been careful to research the text
  used at the time of the bestowal?  I defer to scribes, but I'd be
  inclined to doubt that scribes have generally been that scrupulous.

  Side question: do they hunt up the old crown who granted it to
  sign?  What if one or both is dead or unavailable?  I dimly recall
  hearing that the official royal signatures are on file for allowable
  forgery.  Which leads me to ...

- Anachronistic forgery of legal documents is well-known from period.
  While normally I'd condemn forgery if it creates a false impression,
  in this case, it would be entirely harmless, and indeed would
  clarify the situation.  I deserve to get warts from typing this
  next: consider it a creative anachronism.

But I Am Not A Scribe.  I'm just opining from general principles.
I expect an expert scribe to come along and take out my pretty bubble
with a little prick.

Danett de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com