[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 16:29:10 PST 2007

Greetings,
I'm a bit behind on this thread, as it was very in depth and I didn't have time to think about it
the last few days.  I agree with Etienne that the thread has been helpful and informative; I thank
everyone for responding and I hope these types of discussions continue.  I'm also thrilled to see
scribes on the Heralds list learning about the heraldic rules of Ansteorra that affect our work as
scribes.

Now, to the question:

In the 1999 Award texts, there are two scroll charters for Baronies:
page 33:  Regular Court Barony text and Court Barony for full Achievement text (don't want to
discuss Achievements at this time).
Page 38:  Barony-in-Fief text when a new Baron/ess is elevated to landed Baron/ess (there is no
achievement as the arms of the barony would not be used for the individual).

Now in the current text dated 2005, there are three charters for Baronies:
page 49:  Regular Court Barony text.  (achivements were removed in this version)
page 50:  Court Barony for founding Baron/ess-in-fief.  (*new)
Page 51:  Court Barony for subsequent Baron/ess-in-fief. (*new)
page 56-58: Barony-in-fief

The is also a section 'Notes on this Revision', page 4, 5th item:
'Alternate Court Baronial texts for former or founding Landed Barons and Baronesses have been
added'.

As I understand, the question that Sara raised is related to the addition of the new scroll
charter text on page 51, Court Barony for subsequent Baron/ess-in-fief.  I've read the 2005 award
texts several times, and probably read this new additional text, and thought - 'hum, that's
interesting'; but at the time I wasn't Star Signet and didn't think much else of it; and I don't
believe the subject has arisen till now.

Sara is correct! (She wins the prize.)  The addition of this new text in 2005 also required that
the College of Scribes needed a new scroll charter to use for Baron/ess-in-fief who step down and
are was subsequently granted a Court Barony.  There is not currently a charter master for this new
text; however, there are a number of scribes willing to accept commissions so this charter master
will be added to the list, to be completed by the next landed baronial transition.

I don't believe it will be necessary for Golden Scroll to recreate new charters for every
historical Court Barony for subsequent Baron/ess-in-fief, as the text was not added to the
Ansteorran list till 2005.  Those Baron/ess's affected likely received the regular CB charter or
original scroll on elevation to Court Barony (recent originals may have used the new text).  Once
a charter master is available, then the Sable Scroll may begin using it; Star Signet and Golden
Scroll can decide on a policy of implementation for any historical cases, as needed.

Timing is good though, as this new charter scroll master can be requested and discussed this
weekend at Round Table.  Thanks for raising these questions guys, it has helped recognize that
there was an omission in the charter master set at the College of Scribes.

Regards, Hillary Greenslade, Star Signet