[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 18:02:25 PST 2007

--- heralds-request at lists.ansteorra.org wrote:
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:00:19 -0600
> From: "Darin Herndon" <DHerndon at chkenergy.com>
> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in
> 	fief
> To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA,	Inc."
><snip>
> From a practical standpoint, the given date needs to be
> tracked so that it is possible to backtrack which Crown granted the CB
> for charter or achievement creation by the scribes.  (This raises a
> different problem since achievement texts may not have wording to cover
> someone whose highest rank is a Court barony backdated for this reason.
> Serena and Sara, can you look at the achievement text for a Court Barony
> and see if wording needs to be added as an option to allow for this?)

Once the Award texts were updated for the 2005 release, it's my understanding that Serena and Sara
intended to create two additional text documents:  1) Achievements and 2) Retired scrolls (for
closed awards that occasionally have to be recreated/replaced).  Meanwhile, the current award
texts have to be periodically adjusted for additions.   It's a neverending project.

> To go back to Sara's original question, the appropriate charter would be
> the one for former landed's but there are no masters for that yet.  For
> Golden Scroll purposes, I think it would be appropriate to have a master
> just for requests like this one.  Most landeds I talked to about this
> topic when I was Star were interested in commissioning original charters
> because of the significance of the event to them.  I never thought to
> suggest making a master to Star Signet for this when we published the
> new charter texts because we have no master for the investing of landeds
> (all originals as well).
>
> Etienne

Etienne, I agree with you regarding the reason why an original charter was likely never made for
the new charter text for a 'Court Barony for a former landed Baron/ess', with the two dates.  Not
to belittle a regular Court Barony, but anyone who serves as landed for any length of time
definately deserves an original scroll, in my opinion.

However, just for those times when an original is not available, the College of Scribes has been
creating charter masters for all the current Ansteorran scroll texts, beginning with the prize
champions, a project that Stella initiated under Darius; 5 new charters have been approved and are
active, with a few waiting adjustments.  I'll be adding this Court Barony text to the list for
development, just for situations that Golden Scroll has been requested.

Star Signet has generally left the creation of an original scroll for a 'Court Barony for a
retiring landed Baron/ess' to the populace of the Barony to coordinate with the Crown.  However,
it's also Star Signet's responsibility to assist the Crown, with the creation of any original
scroll the Crown has need of, if possible.  It's also usually a point of honor tho for the
Barony's Scribes Guild members (if a guild exists) to create the original scroll themselves.

Thanks, Hillary