[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 16:25:49 PST 2007

> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:06:15 -0800 (PST)
> From: Kimberly Langhans <sarapenrose at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in
> 	fief
> To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA,	Inc."
> 	<heralds at lists.ansteorra.org>
>
> Soooooo, it turns out I should have been paying more
> attention...
>
> Now that we've had this conversation, I've received a
> request from some former landeds for CB scrolls. Can
> one of you official herald-y types confirm for me that
> I should date the scrolls to their stepping up, rather
> than to the date of their stepping down (when the CBs
> would have been bestowed)?
>
> If we had not just had this thread, I would've dated
> the scrolls to their stepping down without even
> thinking twice about it!
>
> Thank goodness I have you all to edumacate me...
> Sara

Hum, good question, I'd like to know as well.
It's been my understanding that the CB is grated as a honorarium at the discretion of the Crown,
for the service done as the landed Baron/ess, but is not a requirement only a tradition. If the
Crown wanted they could grant another award as thanks for being landed, but traditionally it's a
CB; so that once a Noble the person can remain a Noble.   The CB is not granted specifically in
direct relationship to the actual time as a landed, as it may or maynot be given automatically
when the Landed Baron/ess retires, conceivably it could be given at a later time then when the
landed stepped down.  In that respect, the CB is no different than any other CB given for someone
who has not served as a landed B&B.  CB's are not distinquished from each other, such as CB-former
landed vs CB-nonlanded.

To that end, the date on the CB is supposed to be the date it's given by the Crown (traditionally
when the person steps down from being landed), regardless of any dates for start and end tenure as
Landed B&B.  The CB is not backdated to the stepping up date the former Landed B&B first took
their office.

Star, comments?
Hillary