[ANSTHRLD] OP question - Court Baronies and Baronies in fief

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jan 12 08:06:57 PST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Sir Morgan Buchanan <morganbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bob is made Baron of Summerland on 1/1/2000.  Doug is made Baron of
> Autumnland on 1/1/2002.
>
> Doug steps down as Baron on 1/1/2005.  Bob steps down as Baron on
> 1/1/2007.
>
> Bob was "ennobled" 2 years before Doug.  He served as Baron longer.
> He stepped down after.  But under the model of dating a CB to the
> date the CB was conferred (virtually alway the day they step down)
> Doug would out-precedence Bob.

You're begging the question.  You're assuming that there's one date,
that "given by our hand" date is the same as the precedence date, even
though the precedence date is not the same and may not be stated in
the text.  That assumption is incorrect, as has been explained.

In *almost* all cases, the date of creation is the precedence date,
but that's not true for the king and queen (always outranks visitor
kings and queens in Ansteorra), crown prince and princess (similarly),
barons and baronesses in fief (similarly (Ansteorran B&Bs are level 8,
visitor B&Bs are level 9), and within Ansteorra they go by date of
creation of the barony), and a court baron/ess who get their rank when
stepping down as landed baron/ess.  So a CB-for-LB is, so far as I
know, unique among personal permanent awards (as opposed to offices)
in Ansteorra.

Danel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com