[ANSTHRLD] CoH website updates and results of informal poll on Archive Accessability

Sigillarius sigillarius at ansteorra.org
Tue Jul 31 09:41:24 PDT 2007

Greetings all.

Please note that there has been 2 changes made to the website.

1) August Gazette has been uploaded ( http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/gazette/ )

2)  Contacts page ( http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/contacts.php ) has been updated.

Please verify that your contact information is correct and let me know of any problems.

Also thank you for the responses regarding whether or not to make the List Archives public or not.  There was a pretty strong opinion that they should be restricted to list members only.  Of the few dissenters, they all pretty mush had the same reason and it is a good point worth pointing out.  I will hold off on changes to see if it makes any of the pro-private archive votes change.

The point made was that the archives can also be a good research or educational tool for those people that do not subscriber to the list.  It is possible for them to go do a search of the archives and  possibly get the answer to questions or where to get said answer.

The primary argument against is the possibility of email address harvesters.  To that I would like to point out the following.   There is a level of obfuscation going on for the addresses.  The addresses display as address at somewhere.ext (ie johndoe at nowhere.org) and the mailto tag itself actually points to the list, not the person's email.  I am not going to tell you that this is perfect.

Also I would like to say that is is just as likely they get your email address from other sources or just by luck.  I have a gmail address that i have 1) Never used on any mail list. 2)never posted to a web page 3) never even given out to anyone for any reason and it gets spam.  Lots of spam.

OK, I will leave the polling open for a little while longer.  Remember reply privately please unless you have points to add to the discussion.  I will give a bit more time to respond and then let everyone know the outcome and how the archives will be set.

Alasdair
Deputy to Sigillarius