[ANSTHRLD] A question for the more experienced heralds, please

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 09:13:39 PDT 2007

On 6/9/07, Crandall <crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here is my classic example of search engine based
> conflict checking that sometimes missed, due to
> blazoning quirks. I do not know if the new
> software would have caught it.
> You will see that the difference in these two
> items is the tincture, type and number of
> secondaries. Some have even said they are
> tertiaries. You put them next to each other and
> it feels that Alexander and I are somehow
> related.
>
> Enoch Crandall mac Cranon
> The following badge associated with this name was
> registered in August of 1989 (via Ansteorra):
> Argent, a pile between two broadarrows gules,
> overall a chevron counterchanged.
>
> Alexander Peregrine
> The following device associated with this name
> was registered in May of 1999 (via Ansteorra):
> Argent, a pile gules and overall a chevron
> counterchanged, in chief a fleur-de-lys argent.

They're clear.

These armories have a primary charge and an overall charge.  In each
case the primary is either the pile or the chevron, and the overall is
the other one.  Since they're counterchanged across one another, for
purposes of conflict both chevrons and piles must be checked as
through they were the primary charge.

The broadarrows are only tertiaries if they lie within the area of the
chevron and since they're gules on an argent field and the chevron is
counterchanged over the pile making its side pieces gules, the
broadarrows cannot possibly be lying on the chevron.  They are
therefore 'charges lying entirely on the field arranged around other
charges' and thus the secondary charge group.

The fleur-de-lys is a tertiary charge no matter what, since it lies
entirely upon the pile.

Sooooooo......
There's one CD for removing a group of secondary charges under RfS
X.4.b. Addition of Charges on the Field  - Adding or removing any
group of charges placed directly on the field, including strewn
charges, is one clear difference.
There's a second CD for adding a group of tertiary charge under RfS
X.4.i. Addition of Charges on Charges  - Adding or removing any group
of charges placed entirely on other charges is one clear difference.
No conflict exists.

Doesn't look like it's related to me.  If the broadarrows were on the
pile, it might.

- Teceangl