[ANSTHRLD] more name info

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Mar 29 12:40:23 PDT 2007

> >  So basically she needs a Welsh/English surname to clear the second
> >  weirdness...
>
> That's how I interpret it.

Or else she changes the given name to one that was actually used in period -
that would remove the weirdness / step from period practice for use of an
element that is registerable ONLY because it has been ruled SCA Compatible.

For Scottish Gaelic women's names (which would fit with her byname culture),
she could look at:
http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/gaelicgiven/women.shtml

For Welsh and the basic form of her byname, I'd recommend:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh16.html

The format of her byname is not quite correct, but it's easily fixable with a
small change or two.  I'll need to look at my data at home to suggest tweaks,
but I'll wait to do that until you know if she's more interested in keeping
her given name or the rest of her name.

(By the way, the middle element is a patronymic, indicating her father's
given name was Bryan, rather than a middle name as we think of it today.)

Hope this helps,

Mari