[ANSTHRLD] Help with Japanese Name and Mon

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Tue Mar 13 19:38:33 PDT 2007

>Given name: Kenichi, Family name: Tsubame
>
>His given name translates to "one sword".  His family name means  swallow,
as
>in the bird.  It is the Japanese equivalent of his Polish  mundane family
>name.  Gender is male.
>
>Hans

Great info, thanks!

Throughout this note, < > indicates specific spellings.

Solveig has an instance of a surname meaning "swallow", but it's not
<Tsubame>, it's <Sasabe>.

p. 174
under the header "Swallow"

<Sasabe> is dated to 1183 with "Monopoly Corporation" listed under the
"Added Meaning" column for that surname.

p. 281 lists the header for the meaning "Sword", but all of the examples of
names with this element are feminine given names and the pronunciation is
TO not ken.

Characters can have multiple pronunciations.  Some take what is called a
Chinese reading.  Solveig uses all capital case to indicate these readinds.
 She uses lowercase to indicate Japanese readings.  <Kenichi> is either
	<Ken> + <ichi>
	<Ke> + <n> + <ichi>
Solveig lists characters with the reading KEN on pages 243, 250, 312.

p. 243
heading: "Build/Construct"
masculine nanori: <Kentarou>
date: 1983
added meaning: "First Son"

p. 250
heading: "Oversee/Inspect/See from Above"
surname: <Kenmotsu>
date: 1183
added meaning: Thing/Artifact

p. 312
heading: "Found/Build/Construct"
multiple listings of yobinas (a yobina is a type of given name different
than a nanori), all starting with <Ken->.  None include a meaning that
includes "sword".

For a possible <Ke> + <n>, Solveig lists a character with the pronunciation
ke on p. 177.

p. 177
heading: "Hair(Generic)/Fur/Wool"
surname: <I'nage> (where the ' is a long mark on the I - basically doubles
the length you pronounce the I)
date: 1332
added meaning: Young Rice Plants

p. 177
heading: "Hair(Generic)/Fur/Wool"
feminine nanori: Wakigeme
date: 784
added meaning: Peace

In both names on p. 177, the pronunciation ke mutates to ge because of the
combination of sounds around it.

It's worth noting that Solveig lists _no_ masculine nanori starting with
<Ke-> in the "Historical Masculine Nanori" section.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can look
up for you in Solveig's books.

Mari