[ANSTHRLD] conflict checking and double checking

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Mar 19 09:24:13 PDT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Serpentine Pursuivant <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Per bend sinister vert and sable, a wolf salient/saliant in bend sinister
> argent.

Just to make sure: the field is

     green/
         /
        /
       /
      / black
     /

and there's a white wolf leaping, roughly covering the bend sinister
line (that is, the body of the wolf is / too)?

"In [line of division]" refers to two or more charges whose relative
positions are as if on the line of division.  For example: "two
annulets in fess" is o o, but "in pale a pallet couped and a roundel"
is !.

In contrast, "[line of division]wise" does not refer to relative
locations, but to the orientation of one or more charges.  "An em-dash
bendwise" is \.

But beasties salient are pretty much bendwise anyway, in my dim-minded
opinion, so I think it's just enough to say that it's leaping to sinister.

So

     Per bend sinister vert and sable, a wolf salient contourny argent.

You're right about the three or four designs you cited being clear by
X.2, but that's just an illustration that the field is not everything.
Changing the field does not clear anything by X.2 or X.1, and counts
only as one of the two required CDs for X.4.

However, assuming you've indeed checked everything under the field
"Per bend sinister vert and sable" and found them all clear, then you
know that, when looking at any other piece of armory, that you have
one CD already, and you need only one more.  So that excludes from
conflict any design that has
- more than one charge in the primary charge group
- any secondary charge: a chief, a bordure, a mullet in dexter chief,
   whatever
- any overall charge
- any tertiary charge (a charge entirely on another charge)
- a canine in any other tincture than white
- a canine in any position distinguishable from salient
   (I'd have to check precedents, but I think that salient contourny
   and rampant contourny are the only two positions you have to worry
   about)

This cuts down on the search space considerably.  In fact, unless I am
gravely mistaken in the above analysis, you only have to check
Ordinary category "Beast - Dog - 1 - Argent - Rampant", because every
other category has one of the differences above.

Danielis Lindonium
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com