[ANSTHRLD] Suggestions needed

Darin Herndon DHerndon at chkenergy.com
Thu Nov 8 17:12:49 PST 2007

As Domhnall noted, it is not about changing the rules.  But as Emma noted, we have all seen those tabards that have been bastardized* into that quartered form of part territorial arms and part heralds' badge.

Literally, to wear quartered arms of the territorial noble and the heralds' badge is to say that you are the rightful heir and current holder of all lands, titles, ranks, privilages, etc. (or herald of the rightful heir and current holder) of those lands and the College of Arms itself.  As if your baron had married the Laurel Queen of Arms and the barony and the College of Arms were inherited by you.  They are, by their very meaning, a legal affront to the Laws of Arms.

But, it is difficult to enforce against people who meant well and just didn't understand what they were doing when they made this really nice (aesthetically to the creator at least) tabard.  In period, Kings of Arms (in this context I would argue equivalent to our Principal Herald) were empowered to strip wearers of and to debase illegal arms.  That would not go over well in the SCA where we want to welcome those who are trying to learn.

It would be wonderful (my opinion) if: 1) a group of tailors and seamstresses were willing to step up and offer to make a correct tabard for any group that lacked one, 2) the populace was given education to explain what arms legally mean, 3) all Crown heralds set the example in all royal courts and all baronial heralds set the example in all baronial courts, and 4) the kingdom announced through its principal herald that at some future date (2 years or the start of AS 44 or something) that use of improper, illegal, non-period tabards would be actively discouraged.  Give people enough time to make better tabards and get them the classes to learn how; then start enforcing (gently at first) period practice.

As long as we don't actively make people aware of the meaning and both encourage good practice AND discourage bad practice, and do that as a collective whole (not just a few heralds), then we are aiding and abetting an illegal heraldic practice.

Etienne ("I'm not Sable Roundel anymore") St. Amaranth

*"Bastardize" here is meant in the literal definition; "verb (used with object) 1. to lower in condition or worth; debase".  From: Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastardize (accessed: November 08, 2007).  It is not a judgement on the aesthetic quality of any tabard or the lineage of the wearer.