[ANSTHRLD] Suggestions needed

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Nov 9 06:03:13 PST 2007

Donnchadh asked:

> Jay Rudin wrote:
>> And anyone in the Steppes can display the
>> ensign, but not the arms.
>>
> What exactly is the ensign of a group?  Is it the group arms without the
> laurel wreath, or does it have to be a specifically registered badge?
> Namron's arms are very simple, and in our case the ensign is the arms
> minus the laurel wreath, but I didn't know if that held true for
> everyone.

It's a badge passed for use by the populace -- the equivalent of a flag.
Any Oklahoman can fly the flags of Oklahoma and the USA.  They aren't arms
and don't indicate rulership of the state or country.

Using the arms of a branch with the Laurel wreath left off is still a
conflict -- it's only one mark of difference away from registered arms.  It
could be passed as a badge with the permission of the branch, and then it
can be used for whatever purpose the branch assigned it -- which might or
might not be an ensign.  Frankly, I think it's a lousy populace badge,
since it's too close to the arms.  But that's for the branch rulers to
decide.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin