[ANSTHRLD] Project "Whiny Butt"

Sorcha ackerson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:43:41 PST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 3:24 PM,  <kclement at verizon.net> wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations to esteemed heralds and all heraldesque folk alike.
> Gregor Elfingstone here.
>
> I'd like to ask for help with a somewhat SCA related matter.
>
> My lady's best friend, Amy, is in the first stages of assimilation into our
> fair society, currently in the Outlands.   During a recent phone conversation,
> my lady was in the traditional act of accusing her of whining about her life,
> yet again, and Amy jokingly suggested trying to register "Whiny Butt" as her
> SCA name.  My lady rolled her eyes at the odd idea, when I, in jest, suggested
> that maybe I could ask around and see if there was a period version or period
> approximation to the phrase "whiny butt".  Amy, seeking to call my bluff, said
> that she'd try to register it if I managed to come up with one.
>
> So, my heraldic brothers and sisters, I'm asking for your help.  If this is an
> inappropriate discussion topic for this esteemed forum, then you have my most
> fervent apologies.  However, I was thinking that it would be an entertaining
> and diverting challenge for the more learned amongst us.
>
> Is there a period phrase or name that means or approximates the phrase "whiny
> butt"?  I can't wait to see what everyone managed to find.  My own meager
> library has not managed to help me so far.  Any ideas?
>
> Yours in service,
> Gregor Elfingstone.

Winifred or Winefred - late 16 C. English feminine given name.  " Late
Sixteenth Century English Given Names" by Talan Gwynek
http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/eng16/eng16.html

Buttyll - 1540 English byname.  "English Names found in Brass
Enscriptions" by Julian Goodwyn
http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/brasses/

Sorcha
...an Outlandish herald