[ANSTHRLD] Question on Animal holding something...

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 00:57:48 PST 2007

>   Fox Rampant holding a spear
>
>   I cannot find an example of an animal holding anything in period.  Can someone give me some help please?  Is this doable? Etc.

It's period to have critters hold things, but fairly rare.  The most
common was the mermaid holding a mirror and possibly a comb.  It might
be something of a search for me to find period examples of critters
holding things, but could be fun. Want me to?

Now, in the SCA it's not uncommon at all.  A critter holding a small
something is said to be maintaining it, and a maintained charge is
worth no heraldic difference.  If the charge is large, like the period
bear and ragged staff badge where the two objects bear similar visual
weight, it is said to be sustaining the object and the other thing is
worth heraldic difference.

Now, conflict is a whole 'nother thing.  A fox holding something would
need to be checked for conflict and such, if it were being considered
for a badge.  If it's already her passed armory, then you're golden,
but I see no foxes holding spears in the Ordinary, so back to checking
for conflict. :)

- Teceangl