[ANSTHRLD] More news from Laurel

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Oct 31 12:18:00 PDT 2007

>From the 7/2007 LoAR cover letter:

>From Pelican: On MacLysaght, "Irish Surnames"
A submission this month raised the issue of the quality of documentation
available from MacLysaght, Irish Surnames.  This book is about modern names
and provides modern forms of both Gaelic and Anglicized spellings. At one
time, this book was the best reference we had for Irish names, but this is
no longer the case. Because MacLysaght provides few if any dates, and
because the forms given in this work are explicitly modern, it is no longer
acceptable as sole documentation for Irish names.

Local heralds and submitters, take note! This means we can still use
MacLysaght, but it CAN NOT be the sole source of documentation for a name.
If any part of a submitted name is documented only via this book, and if
commentary can not provide additional usable documentation, it WILL be
returned.

-Emma
Bordure