[ANSTHRLD] Procedure for transfering arms

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Apr 8 09:39:36 PDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Crandall <crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Subject: [ANSTHRLD] Procedure for transfering arms
>
> How is that done?
> One person to another?

Any item can be transferred from one owner to another, provided

- the recipient is not at their limit (if any) for items of that type.
   For an armory transfer to an individual, the recipient could have no
   more than 3 armory items already.  (If they have 4 or more pieces of
   armory already registered, they would have to dispose of one item
   before accepting the transfer.)

- the armory does not have any reserved charges to which the recipient
   is not entitled.  For example, if the armory has a white belt, the
   recipient must be a knight.  Armory with a laurel wreath is branch
   arms, and can be transferred only to another branch as the recipient
   branch's arms (and, as with any action that involves the name or
   arms of a branch, there's have to be a petition at both ends).
   An order or award name could only be transferred to an SCA branch
   with a ceremonial head, not a shire or canton.

No fee is charged by Laurel.

No normal forms are provided.  However, there must be a letter from
the donor giving the arms, with a real signature by the donor (e-mail
doesn't count), and there must be a similar letter from the recipient
accepting the transfer, with a real signature by the recipient (e-mail
doesn't count).  Both letters can be written or photocopied onto the
same piece of paper for convenience in handling.

I don't know that there's an explicit statement of how many copies you
need.  For a name, I'd make 5, the number of name form copies that I'd
make for a new name submission.  For armory, I'd make 6, the number of
color copies for armory.  (6 > 4, the number of line drawing copies.
That is, making 6 copies means that one copy can be sent to every
place that they'd send a color copy.)  (In these counts, I include a
copy for the submitter, a copy for the local herald or herald being
submitted thru, and the normal copies as specified in the Ansteorran
CoH Admin Handbook at
<http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/COHAdmin_Handbook_2007.pdf>.)

I STRONGLY suggest using the standard template letter of transfer /
letter of acceptance of transfer.  My network is groggy at the moment,
so I can't find them.  I'm pretty sure they were on a recent LoAR
Cover Letter: you can use <http://www.morsulus.org/> to do a
moderately convenient search.

On the external Letter of Intent, and therefore presumably in the
Internal Letter of Intent, they are shown as two actions, the transfer
listed under the name of the donor, the acceptance of transfer listed
under the name of the recipient.

     6. Foo de Bar.  Transfer of badge to Grognard Kvetch.  Argent, an
        example sable.

     7. Frederick Blah.  Name. ...

     8. George Justshowingthattheitemsarealphabetizednormally. Name
        appeal. ...

     9. Grognard Kvetch.  Acceptance of transfer of badge from Foo de
        Bar.  Argent, an example sable.

Danielis Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com