[ANSTHRLD] Permission to conflict

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:29:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Marie de Blois <erminespot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Mike Wyvill <wyvillmike at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I have received an email from a holder of a device granting one of my 'clients' permission to conflict. Is that acceptable or must I send a form or receive a leter via Snail Mail?
>
>  Email is not sufficient. A paper letter hand-signed is required.

This is the Last Official Word I can find about signatures required.
Last sentence, first paragraph:

-------------------------------
The device is still in conflict with the armory cited in the previous
return, that of Degary Golafre of Pembroke ... The submitter has
provided Laurel with emails from Degary's wife, issued from Degary's
email account, indicating willingness to provide permission to
conflict. However, the administrative handbook requires that "If
permission to conflict has been granted, a written statement of
permission must be included, signed by the owner of the conflicting
item with both Society Name and name used outside the Society." The
emails did not include a signature, and therefore are not valid
letters of permission to conflict. A scan of a full letter of
permission to conflict (including signature along with the text of the
letter) would be acceptable, but unsigned text email is not.

The submitter, in her long and unfortunately arduous submissions
history, has amassed letters of permission to conflict ... Some of
these letters of permission to conflict are by no means recent: the
one which bears a date is dated November 27, 1995, and some of the
others may be older. The College should note that the administrative
handbook does not mandate an "expiration date" for letters of
permission to conflict, nor does a letter of permission to conflict
cease to be valid if a submission is returned at Laurel. Yet
permission to conflict may be rescinded by the owner of the
conflicting armory at any time before the submission is registered.
Any person wishing to rescind permission to conflict for a submission
which has not yet been registered must write to Laurel and the
submitting kingdom with an explicit letter to rescind any previously
written letter of permission to conflict. [Elina of Beckenham, 09/02,
R-West]
And from the Cover Letter of August, 2003:

>From Laurel: John Hancock Did Not Use E-Mail
There are several letters used in the submissions process that require
a signature. If a signature is required, then the letter must include
a copy of the handwritten signature. A text e-mail message does not
meet the requirement for a handwritten signature. [CL, 08/03]

I'd verify that with the kingdom submissions herald, who can verify it
with Laurel.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html