[ANSTHRLD] Permission to conflict??

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 10 07:57:09 PDT 2008

Without starting a very large off topic discussion it is simply this:

The number of laws and regulations the SCA as a non-profit is subject to has increased
beyond belief in the last 40 years.  No matter what you think of them there are people behind them who can seriously interfere with the society's dream if such laws aren't followed.  There is legal liability for injury in combat events, minor supervision issues, child molestor laws, non profit tax issues, insurance for events and equestrian activities,
food regulations, merchant sales tax issues,  and ever changing intellectual property laws.  People are in the SCA for more than one generation now so that has become an item we deal with.

The record keeping required by this is seen in the quantity of paper we have to keep.

The other reason is the SCA membership has grown to the size of a town. The scope of the membership interest includes everyone from strict recreationists to fantasy interests and renfair groups.  Some like the martial aspects while others go for arts or the social interests found at events.

The heraldic rules have become more complex to cover these interests fairly.
It is the cost you pay to avoid Laurel being able to say " I don't like your device so I am returning it."  It is also the load of processing hundreds of submissions per month without the staff running screaming to hide in a small closet.

So that is the short version.

Magnus