[ANSTHRLD] Advice request

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 11:13:40 PDT 2008

I have a client whose badge submission was returned at kingdom for
conflict.

Her desired badge was "(Fieldless) A walrus azure", correctly
reblazoned by multiple Heralds as "(Fieldless) A walrus
(sejant/statant/couchant erect, equivalent postures in a pinniped but
some posture is required) guardant azure" and it was found to be in
conflict with "Argent, a seal sejant azure" (Mary Zeal, device, 10/95).
I was not her consulting herald, but if I HAD been, I'd have given her
the same advice she got, which was there was a CD for fieldless vs
argent and another for the guardant head position, even if all
pinnipeds were ruled by the College to be without Difference.

I have two questions. The first is when is head position a CD and when
is it not? Is it NEVER a CD, but a blazonable detail when it's not the
default of being lined up with the body? Knowing this will help me
advise future clients correctly.

The second is, what CAN we do to garner that second CD. As I've noted,
posture options in pinnipeds are limited. Rampant or courant would be
stupid. Would reversed qualify? Are there other things I could suggest
to her short of adding a secondary or tertiary charge or altering the
tincture?

Thank you in advance for any advice you care to offer. The Commentary
contained no such advice I noticed.

Kevin, Northkeep