[ANSTHRLD] holding names (was: AG Feb/Mar '08)

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Fri Aug 29 13:04:00 PDT 2008

Quoting Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>:

> Kevin, Northkeep wrote:
> > I am trying to find out why Fiontain o Cuaig's device was returned by
> > kingdom 2/08.
>
> Mike Wyvill answered:
> > The Feb '08 gazette says returned due to 'lack of a name'. According
> > to the gazette the name was returned 07/07. Did she not give
> > permission for the creation of a holding name?
>
> So far as I understand, only Laurel creates holding names.  If a name
> doesn't make it past the kingdom decision meeting, any associated
> armory is returned with it.

Correct.

> And, of course, even Laurel only creates a holding name if a name
> submitted *with* the armory in question is returned at Laurel level.

Close.  It's not the only situation where Laurel can create a holding name.

If the name and device were not submitted together (say the device was 3
months behind the name), then Laurel pulls the name submission form and
creates a holding name if the submitter allowed so on the name form.

How much time has passed between the name and device for registration of a
holding name varies based on a whole host of factors.  The rule of thumb I
used while Pelican was in general about "1 month" after the LoAR with the
name returned was published.  But remember, I was dealing with paper LoARs as
primary notification.  That's not the case today.

So, as an example, say that NAME goes out on a Jan. LoI, gets returned in the
May LoAR, and the May LoAR gets published in the beginning of August.  If the
device went out on the August LoI, I would have created a holding name
(assuming the submitter allowed it) unless there were some special reason not
to.

Mari