[ANSTHRLD] Question on Device w/ link

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:14:58 PST 2008

> I must respectfully disagree.
> Slot machine heraldry can apply to secondary or
> tertiary charges as well as to primary charges.
>
> If you have a chief with three different charges
> on it, they are tertiaries and will still be returned
> for slot machine heraldry.
>
> For a review of this topic, check out:
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/lessons/lesson02.html
> Note: Item #6 on the Quiz.

Laurel precedents on slot machine heraldry are usually listed under
'Style', 'Complexity', and 'Charge Groups' and in the compiled
precedents of Alisoun MacCoul of Elphane there's even an independent
header for 'Slot-machine Heraldry' while those of Jaelle of Armida
give the term its own sub-category under Style.
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents.html

Modar is correct.  You may not have three charges of different types
in the same charge group, no matter whether that group is primary,
secondary, tertiary, overall or maintained.  RfS VIII.1.a.  All three
types of charge must fall within the same group in order to run afoul
of this rule, however. I believe perusing precedents back a ways will
find instances of return, and is a terrific way to learn what is and
what isn't slot-machine style. Be aware that some Laurels were more
lenient and that earlier rulings might have been overturned by later
ones.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html