[ANSTHRLD] Baronial investiture ceremonies

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Fri Jan 25 10:05:38 PST 2008

The BSO point raised some questions.

Crandall specifically asked, " If the previous B&B closes it, then a new one 'has' to start?"

No.  By order constitution, the B&B (or just B if single) are the principals of the existing order.  If a BSO were closed when a former B&B stepped down, then yes a new order with new principals would need to be created but that was not what I meant.  All I meant was that their assumption of the principals' role in the existing order should be announced.

Based on the past discussion that Serena referenced, if a B&B are invested that are not members of the order then, Serena and Robin's point, they should automatically be made members of the order.  When that topic came up on the list previously, there were some on the list (including former B&Bs) who were very firm on both sides of the argument.  Side 1: A new B&B who were not members of the order previously were principals only (as the Crown may be principals of the Centurions order without being a Centurion first or being made one permanently by reigning) or if they were made principals (only while B&B) and members (permanent) by virtue of being invested as landed B&B.  That was a separate thread and I did not mean to resurrect it.

But, being made the principal of the order (member or not, though I think that may now be answered; Alden?) is an entry in the Roll of Precedence.  If a White Scarf is created at Queen's Champion this weekend, as Robin noted, there are no words said about it conveying a Grant rank; it is automatic and assumed and it requires no entry in the Roll.  Those who receive a Grant order are listed in the Roll with their order membership but a separate entry for the Grant rank is not made.  Being made a principal (and member?) in the BOS may also be automatic and assumed (though it has gotten confused over the years by some) but IT IS ALSO AN ENTRY in the Roll.  It needs to be documented, recorded, and entered as a note next to the BOS entry for the person.  I believe, so maybe this is Etienne's opinion and not a fact as I may have represented in my first post, that the Roll entry should require a specific statement to be made in court.  If for no other reason than to avoid the confusion on other topics we have discussed.  A statement by the royal herald or Crown as the newly invested are presented in a form like, "Now presenting X and Y, Baron and Baroness of Chromosomes, Principals of the Order of the Deoxyribonucleic Acid" would be sufficient.

But, maybe that is my opinion.  I prefer to avoid completely redundant things (like announcing a Grant with a White Scarf) but I also dislike ambiguity that leads to confusion (like the previous thread on B&Bs being members or not if not previously).  Keep it simple but never sacrifice clarity.

Hopefully that explains what I meant.  Happy to answer more questions or offer opinions.

Etienne

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all copies of the email (and attachments if any).