[ANSTHRLD] Baronial investiture ceremonies

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:00:12 PST 2008

> ("Per se".)

I stand corrected.  Thank you.

For example, period oaths had a great deal of calling upon God -- that
> was the *purpose* of an oath, to call upon God to help you keep it and
> to punish you if not.  But involving God in an official ceremony gets
> problematic very fast in the SCA.

I know  this, to a lesser extent, first hand.  messy is a polite way to put
it, I agree.

> I know for a fact that a number of elements they included in it were
> > absolutely documentable and accurate.
>

> > 2. If I am a herald and someone comes up to me and says "I am being
> > invested as Baron of [Insert group name here], and I want to do the
> > ceremony like Baron [Insert super-cool SCA baron's name here] did
> > when he was invested", then I have only thoughts: a. my opinion of
> > historical vs SCA traditions don't mean squat, a future noble just
> > told me the terms of my employment as his herald.
>
> Uh, no, that's not at all true.  You're not their slave and you may
> have valuable insights and suggestions.

 Yes, indeed I would. My intent was to lightheartedly point out that
ultimately its the noble's decision, and not the herald's, unless said noble
grants the herald decision making power.

But yes, absolutely, a herald's role in many cultures included adviser, and
all SCA heralds AND nobles should at least be aware of that fact, IMHO.

Still, in the end I am a Royalist, and if my baron wants to have the
musicians play Queen, I WILL honor my station and my promise to fulfill it (
unless he offends some fundamental idea that crosses the lines of morality,
legality and ethics.)  and yes, I will be cringing the whole way... for two
reasons. 1. its not period.
and 2. I HATE Queen. ;)

Ivo blackhawk