[ANSTHRLD] Saxon female name

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Sun Mar 2 23:03:59 PST 2008

At 05:42 PM 2/29/2008 -0600, you wrote:
>Narienda is from Onomasticon Anglo-Saxonicum documented [699] abbess from
>Kent.    Alric is also shown in the same source as
>a given name as early as 693.

Sorry to take a bit getting back on this - Real Life is interfering with
SCA again.  :)

Here's what I've found.

The entry is for <Nerienda> not <Narienda> (Searle, p. 157), which is the
spelling you had in your original message.

I'm checking to see if it's a Latin form, but given the ending, I'll bet it
is.

Regarding the byname, you said she wanted <Alric> to be her father's given
name.  Here's what I've found:

1) Searle lists a bunch of entries (which you've already seen) but he
doesn't give much detail on them.  So, I went to alternate sources.  The
useful bit in Searle is that he dates people with some form of this name to
the right time period for the submitter.

2) G{o:}sta Tengvik.  _Old English Bynames_.  (p. 169) lists the entry:
{AE}lurici filius, Hugo 1087-98 Douglass 44 (Sf); filius Alurici, Wisgarus,
1066 DB II, 389 (Sf).

3) Olof von Feilitzen.  _The pre-Conquest Personal Names of Domesday Book_.
(p. 150-151 s.n. Alr{i-}c) lists bunches of forms of this name.  The
examples here indicate (as far as I can tell) that Latin nominative forms
include <Alricus>, <Alricius>, and <{AE}lricus>.  This entry also notes
<Alrici> as a genitive form (p. 151).

This entry also gives cross-references to:
OE {AE}{dh}elr{i-}c or {AE}lf{i-}c
OE Ealdr{i-}c

dated to the submitter's time period.  From the info in von Feilitzen, we
can tell that <Alric> is a Latin form.  The Old English forms are rather
different.

So, a woman's byname in Latin incorporating <Alric> as her father's given
name would be <filia Alrici> - giving us a full name of <Nerienda filia
Alrici>.

Mari