[ANSTHRLD] Saxon female name

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Sun Mar 2 23:12:37 PST 2008

>The entry is for <Nerienda> not <Narienda> (Searle, p. 157), which is the
>spelling you had in your original message.
>
>I'm checking to see if it's a Latin form, but given the ending, I'll bet it
>is.

Yes, <Nerienda> is a Latin form.  I asked about this on a different list
(to check some vague memories I was having.)  Ursula Georges, Loyall Herald
from An Tir replied and has given me permission to post her comments here:

I asked:
>> I remember folks mentioning that some (all?) of the headers in Searle have
>> been normalized.
>>
>> Given that, can anyone give any opinions about the reliability of
>> <Nerienda> found on p. 357?
>>
>> The entry reads:
>>
>> Nerienda [699] abbess       Kent
>> 	BCS 99  KCD 44*  HSt iij 2
>> 	(v.l. 'reverendam')
>> 	DCB iv 24
>>
>> Given the ending, I'm assuming this is a Latin form.  Does that sound
right?

Ursula replied:
>This person is in PASE:
>
>http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html
>
>The header name is Nerienda, and the source data confirms that it's in
>Latin.  The rest of the PASE entry says that Nerienda was an abbess &
>charter witness.

If you need Ursula's email, please contact me offlist and I'll pass it on
to you.

So, it looks like <Nerienda filia Alrici> is a fine Latin name form for a
woman living in 7th C England (based on the info from von Feilitzen and
Searle).  If she plans to submit her name, please let me know if you want
me to scan the pages from von Feilitzen so they can be included in her
submission (since von Feilitzen is not on the "No Photocopy" list).

Mari