[ANSTHRLD] on becoming a heraldic officer

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 19 09:20:45 PDT 2008

Mike C. Baker wrote:
> Not that I'm personally in a position to make application at the moment,
> but I do have a question that may affect others as well:  what if the
> individual has held heraldic office previously?  How recent an
> incarnation of the Warranting Class?
>
> Background:  I've held local branch heraldic office for two separate
> Ansteorran branches (now named Moonschadowe, Wiesenfeuer), served as a
> local non-warranted deputy in three kingdoms (Ansteorra, Aethelmearc,
> Middle), taught formally and informally on heraldic subjects for longer
> than I've been an SCA member, served as non-titled staff at Laurel level
> -- for Da'ud Laurel II as well as Margaret Pelican -- AND commented both
> formally and informally off and on since AS XIV.  (Somewhere in my
> effects I still have a charter from the hand of Aureliane Rioghail as
> Star declaring me a Pursuivant Extraordinary, one issued before it
> became customary to issue such as warrants that expire ...) While all
> that probably qualifies me as Olde Pharte in the Crandall sense of the
> term, I have never actually taken an entire Warranting Class since they
> were instituted.
>
> I'll take care of that little detail some time, Real Soon Now (life
> events permitting), as a matter of following old training (Be Prepared).
>
> Still leaves the question(s), for which I'm not sure I've seen a CURRENT
> answer.
>
> Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe
>
> Mike C. Baker
> SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
> "Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard)
> Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
> alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
>    Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
>    http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/

I haven't ever seen/heard of re-warranting being required after any
length of time (or inactivity).  I have known people to take the
warranting class again as a refresher.  Mainly the purpose of the
warranting class is to provide a basic education on SCA heraldry
(particularly for local heralds), reporting, and governing documents
(admin handbooks, rules for submissions, etc).  The key thing we want
for new heralds is to be able to either know where to find the
information they need to do the job, or know where to turn to for help,
as well as how to properly execute their office.

If you have been a herald before, yet never taken a warranting class, it
is required that you do so for applying for offices now.  If you've been
active as a herald, it shouldn't be anything new for you.  If you
haven't been active, you'll probably benefit from the refresher.

Alden