[ANSTHRLD] Corral gate and portcullis

Ron eirik at hot.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 05:46:26 PDT 2008

 > I was doing some research and I noticed that using the Golden Stag
> conflict check program that portcullis and corral gates
> >  fall under the same heading.  For the purposes of conflict checking, do
> these two conflict?
>
> Hmm. I'd check Laurel precedents to see if anything's been said on the
> matter. http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents.html

This should resolve the question unless there is a later precedent I missed.

Precedent:
The torii is still permitted in Society heraldry, due to its modern
familiarity among Occidentals (for instance, the word is found in Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary) and its valid reblazon as a Japanese gateway.
However, since no heraldic difference can normally be obtained from regional
drawing style, we grant no difference between a Japanese gateway (torii) and
a standard heraldic gate --- any more than we grant difference between an
arch and a dolmen. (Ihashi Hidezo, June, 1993, pg. 22)
Laurel Sovereign of Arms: Bruce Draconarius of Mistholme
LoAR Date: 06/01/1993
Precedents: The Tenure of Bruce Draconarius of Mistholme (June 1992 -
October 1993)

Eirik