[ANSTHRLD] online OP

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed May 14 09:33:00 PDT 2008

Daniel de Lincoln wrote:

> I think that registration information should not be in the Roll of
> Precedence.  If maintained religiously, it's a duplication of effort
> with the on-line Armorial; if not, it's out-of-date and unreliable.

I used to agree, until I was told what the entry is actually used for.

You are correct, if you think the code is about the individual, rather than
about the name.  But the OP is where scribes go to find out if somebody
already has an award being considered, and to find the spelling of the name
for the award scroll.  The code actually means, not that the person
represented by this entry has (or doesn't have) a registered name, but that
the actual name listed was (or was not) verified in the armorial when
entered into the OP.

The code of "No" is often out-of-date, if you think it means "this person
has no registered name".  What it really means, however, is "When this name
was added to the OP, there was no registered spelling."  Therefore the
herald who entered the data has no definitive form of the name, so the
spelling in front of you might not be correct.  That statement remains true
even after the name is registered, until somebody checks the registered
spelling against the entry, at which point the code is updated.

Similarly, the code of "Yes" doesn't mean "This person has a registered
name," but rather "You can stop here and not check the Armorial, because
this is the registered form of the name."  That's always up-to-date except
for the relatively few people who change the registered form of their name.

(Of course, when people keep using different forms, such as "Danthing of
Lynkplace", it's impossible to keep up.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin