[ANSTHRLD] HeraldWiki - Was: Pursuivants/Heralds at Large

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 07:53:46 PDT 2008

What a fabulous idea!

Masamune

---- Robert Fitzmorgan <fitzmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Star - Ansteorra <star at ansteorra.org>wrote:

> I'm updating the CoH Admin Handbook, and while I've got the document open,
> wanted to ask the College what y'all think about Section III.C - Pursuivant
> at Large, Pursuivant Extraordinary, & Herald at Large?
>
> I understand the procedure for identifying these officers has changed over
> the years, but my last recollection was that there was a five section test
> to determine your "grade", and each person passing 1, 3, or 5 parts would
> be
> listed as a source deputy to the appropriate regional herald for assistance
> in the area of heraldry for which they passed the test.  When I was a
> regional, I kept a list of those individuals, but it wasn't utilized much,
> and over time seems to have fallen by the wayside.
>
> Is there any real merit to keeping this system in place?  Can we make it
> more useful?  Should we remove it?
>
> I'd like to open the discussion on this list.
>
> Alden, Star

   Though this is not quite on point, since we are discussing heraldic
education I want to bring up an idea.
    Many years ago we put out the Ansteorran Book of the Herald.  I believe
it was put together by Adelicia and Robin but I may be mistaken about that.
Several times since then various people have discussed putting out a revised
and updated version, but it's never really gotten off the ground.  The idea
is to have a resource available for training and reference.
    Since the original ABOTH came out, changes in technology have given us
more options.
    My suggestion is that we setup a heraldic Wiki on the Ansteorra Server.
If you are not sure what a Wiki is you can take a look at the An Tir
Culturewiki <http://wiki.antir.sca.org/index.php?title=Main_Page> .
    This would allow as many people who want to work on whatever parts of
the project they want, whenever they want.  Once we have reached a consensus
that a particular topic has been well covered the topic can be locked to
prevent further changes unless we decide that it needs to be unlocked
again.
   I spoke with Emma about this a while back and the tech side is no
problem.  If we decide we want to to this, setting it up is no big deal.  If
we decide we want to do this I am willing to administer the wiki, but if
someone else wants the task that would be great. I've got plenty to do
already.
   I just thought I'd throw the idea out to see if people think it's worth
doing.

Robert

--
"If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't been much
of a day."     John A. Wheeler

Fitzmorgan at gmail.com
AIM: fitzmorgan