[ANSTHRLD] Name documentation

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Nov 12 19:00:51 PST 2008

Duncan wrote:
> Does anyone have a documentation source for Sarait or a
> varient (Saraid,
> Saereid)?

Best I've found for Sarait was not very promising at all.
http://www.s-gabriel.org/916 cites only the undated reference in OC&M, and
says it refers to a semi-legendary character, and probably wasn't used by
real people.

<Saereid Sigmundsdottir> was registered by Laurel in April 2001, so I went
to look up the documentation given at the time. According to LoI:

"Saereid: Swedish feminine given name found in the poetic Edda (Edda
Sæmundar), translated to Swedish at the Runeberg project
(http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/eddan/) is usually a good source of
e-text versions of Norse literature. The specific poem is
http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/eddan/se-15.html (Kvädet om Helge
Hjorvardsson). The name given in Swedish is Säreid.

"As well, the First Lay of Helgi Hjorvarthsson
http://www.angelfire.com/on/wodensharrow/helgi.html is a source. Therein you
will find this poem again, with the name of the wife as S{ae}reith. This
translation is taken from "The Poetic Edda" which is cited as: The Poetic
Edda Translated by Lee M. Hollander © 1962 ISBN 0-292-76499-5 LCCCN
61-10045. Fifth paperback printing 1994 University of Texas Press Box 7819,
Austin, Texas, 78713-7819. While this is still a "translated" source for
these poems, the pages contain rather extensive notes on sources, and uses a
non-anglicized character set for all names."

The first two links at lysator.liu.se are still good, but the one in the
last paragraph is gone. Anyway, it still looks likely as a Swedish name.

-Emma