[ANSTHRLD] Is a goat a goat?

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:37:17 PST 2008

An interesting aside on goats.  The element -gate is very popular in real and SCA place-names.
It can come from Old English geat for gate, Old Norse gata for road or Old English gat for goat.
This has proved annoying in a branch name I am researching.

When professors are searching to determine the origin of a place with a gate in it there can be confusion between the three.

One could say the search got their goat.

Magnus