[ANSTHRLD] Monkeys!!!

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Tue Nov 25 10:15:59 PST 2008

Annwn Shona <lady.annwn at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I want a halved background of blue on the right and white on the left. In
>  the center of that, a monkey rampant. Now, I would like the monkey to be
>  holding a red quill, but not sure if that will work?

Maybe something like:

Per pale argent and azure, a monkey rampant sustaining a quill pen gules.

Barring conflict, etc I do not see what you can't do this

>  Also, I know that the word monkey is not period, and according to the book I
>  looked at over at Mistress Serena's  and Master Robin's home, they all just
>  fall under 'ape'. Is this still correct, and the image of the ape is simply
>  up to the artist?

A quick search of the OANDA show the term monkey registered about 28 times.  The latest being a winged monkey registered in January 2008.  So I would say it is most likely if your emblazon (the picture) has a monkey it will get blazoned as a a monkey.

>  Oh! Ok, another question: I've been told that 'proper' is no longer being
>  used? Is this correct? If so, then how do I handle the color of the monkey?
>  I was originally going to do proper, but since being told this, have been
>  looking at other options...but none that I'm really happy with. Do you guys
>  have suggestions, or is the proper thing incorrect information?

As long as there is no other violation of the rules and assumign that there actually IS a proper coloration for the charge then proper is still perfectly acceptable.

Alasdair