[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check, please

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Oct 21 15:31:45 PDT 2008

Me wrote:
> Anyway.  What's a "dogwood flower"?

My apologies: I had been assuming that species names were entirely
banned (and hence nuking anything that required a species name).

After checking LoARs for "Linnaean" OR "Linnean", the ban appears to
be only on "Linnaean proper" -- needing the genus+species name (or
other detailed description) to get the right tinctures for "proper".
I've seen several recentish blazons along the lines of "a great horned
owl" or "a tiger lily" or "a grizzly bear's head".

So: as far as I can tell, they can be blazoned as
"flowering dogwood blossoms", registerable under
Rules for Submission VII.4:

     4. Period Flora and Fauna. - Flora and fauna that were known in
        the period and domain of the Society may be registered in
        armory.

        Flora and fauna documented as having been used as charges in
        period heraldry, including crests and badges, will not be
        considered a step from period practice. This includes New World
        and sub-Saharan African flora and fauna. ...

        The use of flora and fauna native to the New World, Africa,
        Asia, and other non-European locales will be registerable if it
        is reasonable to believe that Europeans knew them in
        period. Their use will be considered a step from period
        practice, unless they were used as charges in period heraldry,
        including crests and badges, in which case their use is not a
        weirdness.

        Consider a turkey and a manatee: they are both New World fauna,
        but the turkey is documented as part of a crest in period
        armory. The use of a turkey, therefore, is not a step from
        period practice. The use of a manatee as a charge, pending
        evidence that it was used in period armory, is a step from
        period practice. ...

Danyell de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com